Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rhylen's story

I am appalled! I have completely forgotten that I have a blog that I have been neglecting for over a year! Time to dust off the ol' keyboard and get to typing!

2012 was a year I spent out of my comfort zone. I was pregnant with my second child. I had awful morning sickness. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and placed on a very strict diet. I was hot and very swollen for most of my pregnancy. Bleh... But it was all worth it when on August 30th we welcomed another daughter, Rhylen.
There was always a big question mark as to how my second labor was going to play out. My first labor experience ended in an emergency c-section. So I assumed I would have to under go another c-section with this pregnancy because "once a c-section, always a c-section". My OB told me that I was a perfect candidate for a VBAC. I honestly was scared. I was unsure if I was strong enough to push a baby out. I was perfectly fine with having another c-section. There was no work involved on my part and I wouldn't have to go through labor. But the 6 week recovery time with my very rambunctious 3 year old was enough to make me have a trial VBAC, meaning I could request a c-section any time.
I was scheduled to be induced at 10 pm on the 29th. It was a very slow induction due to my previous c-section. My OB didn't want to start contraction too soon or I would risk a ruptured uterus. With the help of my friendly epidural push, I was able to sleep through the majority of my labor. It was great. 9 o'clock the following morning, my nurse woke me up and told me I was 10 centimeters dilated and did I want to try pushing. 45 minutes later, I was holding my baby girl! I did it! The pride and satisfaction I felt was all-encompassing. I remember Bob just kissing me and telling me "great job". One of the best days of my life!
After bringing Rhylen home I remember thinking, "Okay, how am I going to do this?" We had decided it was best for me to stay home with the girls. Its been hard adjusting to SAHM life. The monotony and thanklessness of being a mom can be overwhelming at times. But when I see these two sets of beautiful blue eyes, I know I am exactly where I am supposed to be.  
Rhylen, like Oaklee, has acid reflux which means lactose-based milk makes her erupt like Mount St. Helen's. She was immediately put on soy milk and reflux medication. But she also had colic for the first few months. Those were some long months... Once her colic calmed down, we moved Rhylen into Oaklee's room. I was worried how Oaklee would react to not being the center of attention. All my fears were for not. Oaklee was so excited to have Rhylen share her room and hasn't even tried to climb into the crib *phew*
7 months has gone by so fast. No more colic. No more reflux. Just a happy, chunky baby. Oaklee loves being my helper and Rhylen loves watching her big sister. Today, I sat back an watched my two loves "play" together. I can't imagine life before being a mommy of 2 daughters.


No comments: