Monday, January 2, 2012

Scripture "Ah-Ha" #1

This year I've made it a goal to not only read my Book of Mormon but to study it so that I can better understand the lessons God wants us to apply in our lives. I've found an awesome study guide to help me accomplish this!

Today, I was reading in 1Nephi 2, when Lehi is commanded to leave Jerusalem and all his possession behind. His sons Laman and Lemuel do not like this idea and they begin to disrespect their father by talking back and complaining. Nephi never complains. I've read this story a hundred times and always understood that Laman and Lemuel whiners and Nephi doesn't question, he just does what he's asked.

Today that line of reasoning was shifted. I was reading in 1Nephi 2:16 and realized that Nephi did have doubts about what his father was doing. But what makes Nephi so great is the way he reacts to his doubts.

1Nephi 2:16 reads, "And it came to pass that I, Nephi...having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father;"

Nephi was unsure enough about the situation that he prayed. He didn't just pray, he "cried" which I've learned means that he prayed mightily! He was upset by the contention in his family so he prayed to know if his fathers words were true. Heavenly Father calmed his heart and Nephi was able to recognize the truth.

Its such a wonderful example to me that one of the great scripture prophets had doubts about what he was being asked to do, so he prayed for knowledge. God wants us to understand the things we are being taught and asked to do. I've learned that I need to be like Nephi and pray when in doubt; ask for a knowledge of things I do not understand. Not like Laman and Lemuel that don't understand and don't want to ever understand, its easier just to criticize and be upset.


I love getting these "ah-ha" moments! It makes the scriptures a little more personal for me.

This is going to be a great year for learning!

No comments: