Friday, September 30, 2011

I finally did it!



I finally bit the bullet and got Lasik. Lasik in one word, intense! It's quite the experience. It is painless as they say, but it is very uncomfortable and nerve-racking! Luckily the procedure is pretty quick. I was in and out in 90 minutes, 20 minutes of that was the actual surgery.

Here's the break down -

Day of surgery:

After verifying numbers, they gave me a Valium (YEA!) and put in the first of 3 numbing drops. They don't want you to feel a thing! After the Valium and eye drops kicked in I went straight under the laser! I got more numbing drops. They doctor first created the cornea flap, so the laser could get to my retina easily. This was uncomfortable because they prop you eye open and suction! Didn't feel very good. My vision went dark during this as well. Next they put you under the actual laser. This step requires you to stare at a blinking light and NOT MOVE A MUSCLE. The laser was a quick series of blue lines and a smell of burning hair. The doctor promised me they weren't burning anything. I got more eye drops and hopped off the table. A quick check of my vision and they sent me packing!

After the surgery:

I had to wear silly eye protectors, keep my eyes closed for 4 hours (thank goodness for my Valium-induced nap!) and deal with eye drops every 20 minutes. I was a little bored after surgery because for 24 hours you can't read, watch tv, or do anything on the computer. I have to deal with eye drops every 4 hours for the next week and artificial tears every hours for at least a month. I have to wear the silly eye protectors at night for the next week. No make-up, exercising, or rubbing for a week.

I have 20/20 vision! I haven't had vision like this since before high school. My vision is a little blurry and everything has a halo around it, but I'm told this will go away after a few days. My eyes have red bruising around where they cornea was cut which will last for 3 weeks. I'm so glad I did this. If you have ever wanted to do this, quit hesitating and DO IT! My doctor and her staff were amazing. They were so nice and, most importantly, they explained every single thing that was going to happen so I didn't have any question. I loved them! I would love to give you a referral!

I can't believe I can see without squinting or using contacts! Best money I've ever spent!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm a little freaked to do it. I've always used $ as an excuse, but now, I just think I'm a bit chicken. It will be worth it though. I'll let you know if I pony up and take the leap.