Monday, December 19, 2011

DIY: Laundry detergent

About a month ago I was running dangerously low on laundry detergent. The laundry we usually buy is all natural and super expensive. I needed a quick solution until I could order more. I remember seeing THIS blog post. Seemed simple enough so on my bi-weekly trip to Winco I bought the ingredients.


To make a batch you need:

1 cup - Borax ($5)

1 cup - Super Washing Soda ($6)

1 bar - Fels Naptha, finely shredded ($1!!!!)

Pour the Borax and washing soda in a container of your choice. Then shred a bar of Fels Naptha. Add the shavings to your container and shake so it's well blended.You pour 1 Tablespoon in a large load of laundry. That's it!


I figured I'd just keep it as an emergency supply, but I've used it for every load of laundry for about a month. I LOVE it! It works great. Gets all my stains out. It smells so lemony when its washing but it's scent-free when it dries.

My most favorite thing about this detergent, it's SO cheap. I spent $12 on the ingredients. This stuff will last me for months! I will not be ordering my super expensive laundry detergent. I'm completely sold on this mixture!

No comments: