Thursday, December 1, 2011

Feeling the gust of nostalgia -

Last night Davis county experienced the infamous east winds. Here in Clearfield, things were pretty blustery. However, we didn't lose Christmas lights or garbage cans. In my hometown of Centerville things were a little different. The east winds cause havoc in Centerville. The news this morning said Parrish Lane was experiencing winds of 100 mph! The damage done to houses and landscaping is awful. Growing up in Centerville I remember these kinds of winds. I recall a particular winter night when the winds were at their worst and it cause our pilot light in the furnace to blow out. We couldn't relight it and my parents were afraid of the carbon monoxide that might not escape the house because of the winds. The furnace was turned off. My brothers and I got our sleeping bags and we all slept in my parent's room that night. It was a long, cold night.

Hearing about the damage done by the winds last night in Centerville has made me so grateful for the recent decision Bob and I made to cut down our elm tree. This elm tree was 50 feet tall and mostly dead. I've hated this tree since day 1 of living in our house. Lately we would wake up to huge limbs littering our backyard. On the first snowfall of this season, a huge limb fell out of the tree and hit our a/c unit. That was the final straw! I was afraid the tree was going to cause more damage if we didn't remove it. So that's exactly what we did. The day that tree was removed was a very good day. Now that this wind storm has past, I'm even more happy that the tree is gone. I could have easily been telling a different story; a story about the damage my stupid tree caused.

Notice all the branches that have fallen down. This is from a weak snow storm that only gave us 2" which was all melted by the afternoon!

YEA!!! My backyard looks so much bigger now! And no more worry about what's going to happen in the next storm!

No comments: